Sunday, June 24, 2012

Wishy-Washy

I am a girl. Therefore, my feelings and emotions tend to run my life.....

Anyone with me?

My husband, the dear soul, has learned to roll with it. He is well aware that I get on certain "kicks" and that if he just nods and listens, the kick will fade and I'll be on to something new. My "kicks" as of late have been running, sewing some new bedding, a book I've been reading (he is so sweet to let me read parts of it to him), a patio...you get the idea....

However, sometimes my feelings are not productive. I get in a funk with parenting, I get negative about relationships, I get tired of church (did I just say that out loud?). Then, my feelings overtake the calling that God has placed on my life to bring glory to Him in all circumstances. I get lax with infusing Scripture into our home, I get complacent in friendships, and I lose the urgency to give 100% into preparing for Sunday School. 

I read a quote from John Piper on an adoptive mother's blog today:

My feelings are not God. God is God. My feelings do not define truth. God’s word defines truth. My feelings are echoes and responses to what my mind perceives. And sometimes – many times – my feelings are out of sync with the truth. When that happens – and it happens every day in some measure – I try not to bend the truth to justify my imperfect feelings, but rather, I plead with God: Purify my perceptions of your truth and transform my feelings so that they are in sync with the truth.
― John Piper


So, I guess I lose the excuse that "I just don't feel like it" ???

Dadgumit :)

1 comment:

  1. This is such good encouragement! Especially going into VBS week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete