Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Hairbow Mania

I've been browsing through our local boutique store (Life's Little Treasures, for those of you in the Alexandria area) at least once a week for the past three months. It's close to Jack's daycare and provides a much needed "deep breath" on difficult days at school before I go pick him up. Every time I go to this store I look at hairbows and think "Okay...there's got to be a tutorial or a book or SOMETHING to teach me how to make these." I just never could bring myself to pay $5 - $15 for a hair bow.

So, with my down time this week I found two great videos on Youtube that give step-by-step instructions on making boutique-style hairbows, and then how to make a double-loop bow to stack on top of the boutique-style bow.

Here's a "boutique-style" bow. Two loops on each side with no ends showing. A knot is tied in the middle and hot-glued to the back.


Then, I found out that you could make a boutique-style bow and stack a double-loop bow on top. Tye it all together and hot-glue a knot in the middle, and you get three loops on each side with two ends showing.



If your baby has a bald head (which I assume Sydney will), you'll need a headband to attach the bow to. The headbands have a little loop on them, so you can change bows in and out. Right now I have pink, black, and brown bands. I'd like to get white and ivory ones, also, but the store always sells out before I can buy one. Here's a picture of the headband:



And here's a picture of a bow attached to the headband:


Once I got the hang of it I went a little crazy:

And I still have plenty of ribbon for who knows how many more bows. I spent about $30 on ribbon, which will make 20 - 30 bows, depending on how big or small I make them. Now I need to work on a bowholder. Hmmmmm......


Here are the two Youtube videos I used for those of you who are interested:




2 comments:

  1. SOOOO cute! I don't have a Hobby Lobby but there is a Michael's nearby... I will have to check it out and make some for Collette! Oh and I thought she may be bald, too. I took headbands to the hospital just in case, but I was surprised! I think her first word is going to be "hair" becuase she hears that from every single person we meet! Maybe Sidney will surprise you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom mom told me to tell you to take ribbon & tape to the top of the back of a bedroom door & let go to the floor. You can get 2 - 3 rows on one door. Use mailing tape or duct tape. To hang her head bands try putting push pins on a wall & hang from them.
    By the way: I loved going down memory lane with your decade blog.

    ReplyDelete